Renewable Energy Expert – IOM – Erbil, Iraq
Core Functions / Responsibilities
The consultant will be responsible to prepare a report covering the following topics outlined below. In general, the consultant will perform analytical, diagnostic and assessment activities for identifying or evaluating the potential of private sector led developments in the field of renewable energy and environment.
- Overview of the current energy and renewable energy landscape in Iraq;
- Overview of the financial and regulatory environment related to RE in Iraq;
- Review of context-appropriate technologies, their availability and their potential in Iraq, including but not limited to:
- On-grid, off-grid and hybrid energy solutions; and
- Productive use appliances, both energy efficient and renewable energy-powered.
- Building on IOM’s experience working with and data on the SME sector in Iraq, an evaluation of the SME landscape as it concerns RE, and the potential role for expansion of SMEs into the RE sector, including but not limited to:
- Understanding of RE within the SME sector and potential interest in increasing engagement in RE;
- Potential entry points for existing businesses and startups;
- Access to capital for businesses in this sector;
- Opportunities for SMEs to offer consumer credit to support purchases of RE equipment and appliances; and
- Challenges (current or potential) for SMEs operating in the RE sector.
- End-users demand assessment, including but not limited to: a. Current level of access to energy in Iraq including type and source of energy used; b. RE technologies perceptions and awareness levels; and c. Ability and willingness to pay for RE technologies. Here the consultant will be expected to look into the current cost of energy for end users in Iraq and current payment mechanisms as well as the ability and willingness to pay for RE technologies. The aim is to produce a cost benefit analysis to assess the economic viability of RE technologies as compared to current solutions.
- Review of the financing landscape, both for potential consumers of renewable energy products as well as SMEs that may operate in the sector;
- Recommendations on: a. The economic viability of renewable energy as compared to current energy solutions; b. Entry points for SMEs to expand their role in the RE sector; and c. Entry points for IOM to support SMEs as a means to promote renewable energy and create jobs. The consultant’s performance will be evaluated against the following criteria: timeliness, responsibility, initiative, communication, and quality of the products delivered.
Required Qualifications Education
- Advanced university degree (Masters or equivalent) in a relevant field Experience & Skills
- Relevant progressive practical experience at professional level acquired through work in a respective industry, central or local government, academia, non-governmental or professional services sector. Proven experience in one or more of the following areas: renewable energy sources including small hydropower, biomass, wind, solar, geothermal and bio-fuels; low-carbon advanced technologies, energy management, energy benchmarking, energy system optimization, energy efficient design, energy policy, monitoring and verification, energy modelling and research, or an associated field. Prior experience in technical cooperation / technical assistance in developing countries is a distinct advantage.
- Experience working in international organizations and the humanitarian community;
- Experience in the development of strategies linking research to interventions;
- Work experience in and knowledge of Iraq a distinct advantage.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Any other language is an advantage.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications HERE
Closing date for applications 26 December 2019 before midnight.
In your application please specify that you found out about this opportunity on GCFjobs.com
Veuillez indiquer dans votre candidature que vous avez consulté cette offre sur le site web GCFjobs.com