Global Communities is an international non-profit organization that works closely with communities worldwide to bring about sustainable changes that improve the lives and livelihoods of the vulnerable. The Program Manager oversees the start up and day to day management of a humanitarian program in northeast Syria, including designing and implementing program work plans, managing sub-grantees/contracts and local staff, and drafting program reports. This position is based in Global Communities’ Hasakah Governorate office in Northern Syria, which is a stable area relatively unaffected by the ongoing conflict. The position reports to the Program Director.
- Work the with Program Director and Finance Manager to track program budgets and expenditures
- Draft program work plans, weekly/monthly/quarterly reports, success stories, and other correspondence as required
- Recruit, train and supervise a team of approximately 5 local staff
- Work closely with local staff to ensure the smooth running of food security and small-scale infrastructure rehabilitation activities
- Provide concrete training and on-the-job mentoring for local national staff
- Closely mentor local partner organizations and provide training and capacity development activities to improve their program and organizational capacity
- Oversee day to day program activities to ensure that activities are implemented in accordance with donor-approved work plan and budget
- Represent Global Communities at relevant cluster/sector working group meetings and in meetings with local authorities
- All other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proficient in USAID rules and regulations; prior experience working on USAID-funded programs required
- Experience working on USAID/OFDA or USAID/FFP-funded programs preferred.
- Fluency in English, working knowledge of Arabic and/or Turkish highly preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, architecture or related field; Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years of progressively senior international development experience.
- At least 2 years of supervisory experience.
- At least 2 years of experience working in emergency, post-conflict, or post-disaster settings on humanitarian programming, especially food security activities.
- Experience working with local national staff and building local capacity.
- Experience working with sub-grantees and/or local partner organizations.
- Prior experience in remote management strongly preferred.
- Prior experience in the MENA region preferred.