Technical Officer (Health Information) – WHO – Honiara
Description of Duties
Under the guidance and supervision of the Head of WHO Country Office in Solomon Islands and the Health Systems Coordinator, with support from the Division of Pacific Technical Support and other colleagues in the Regional Office, the staff member will be assigned the following responsibilities:
- Facilitate the technical preparations for initiating a programme to strengthen HIS including preparations and conducting of country workshops in HIS.
- Facilitate the development and implementation of the digital health strategy including analysing systems, conducting workshops and creating work plans.
- Support the HIS Unit in the evaluation of different tools as well as their integration into the existing digital health landscape of the country.
- Support the HIS Unit and Chief Medical Statistician in collecting and disseminating quality and timely data to enable the Ministry of Health and Medical Services to make evidence-based decisions.
- Support the Solomon Islands in strengthening civil registration and vital statistics (CRVS) including death notifications, verbal autopsies and births registrations.
- Support technical programmes in reviewing and analysing mortality and risk factor data using the WHO Global Burden of Disease tools.
- Establish and sustain effective working relationships with regional and global partners and relevant stakeholders to improve the national health information systems.
- Undertake other tasks and assigned duties as required.
- University degree in health sciences, engineering, information systems or other related fields requiring quantitative analytical skills from a recognized university.
- Master’s degree or higher in public health, information management, health informatics or related fields, and/or other advanced degree requiring quantitative analytical skills from a recognized university.
- At least five years’ relevant work experience including at the international level in developing countries.
- Experience in UN organizations/agencies, international institutions or nongovernmental organizations (NGOs).